Free Hearing Screenings
UPDATE FOR 2021: Due to the global pandemic, HEAR Center has temporarily suspended all its off-site screenings and in lieu is offering free live and pre-recorded webinars. See links below.
Live webinars schedule and sign-up: http://www.hearcenter.org/news-and-events/calendar
YouTube webinar recordings: https://www.youtube.com/user/hearcenter
Since 2005, HEAR Center has provided free, reliable hearing tests for children through our FREE Pediatric Hearing Screening Program. HEAR Center screened an incredible 10,677 children from July 1, 2018 to March, 30 2020!
Our audiometrists are licensed by the state of California. We conduct screenings at daycares and school locations, or you can call and schedule a free hearing screening at our facility in Pasadena. All children that fail are provided with paperwork for next steps.
OUR HEARING SCREENING PROCESS
- Pediatric Hearing Screenings are PASS/FAIL tests that determine how well a child can hear. Screenings help detect children who may be at risk for hearing loss and can sometimes help identify other existing medical issues. We strongly recommend annual hearing screenings for children.
One of HEAR Center’s audiologists or licensed audiometrists will conduct the pediatric hearing screening, which takes about 5-10 minutes per child. We use two methods to test: pure tone audiometry and/or OAE (otoacoustic emissions).
- Pure tone testing is a subjective test which requires the child to wear over-the-ear headphones. The screener will present various frequencies (pitches or tones) using an audiometer at a predetermined volume, then the child must raise their hand in response to what they hear.
- OAE testing is an objective test that analyzes a child’s hearing. A soft-probe tip is inserted into the ear and tones are presented. The OAE device then measures the quality of the child’s hearing. This method is painless, does not require a response from the listener, and can be completed in a matter of seconds. OAE testing is recommended for infants and children who cannot complete the subjective pure-tone test.
- For more information on these and other audiological testing methods, please visit our Audiology page.
AFTER SCREENING - WHAT’S NEXT?
- Screening reports are given same-day and parents are free to contact us about their child’s performance during testing.
- If a child passes a hearing screening, no other evaluation is needed at this time. Please remember to have your child’s hearing screened annually.
- If a child fails a hearing screening, their family is strongly encouraged to bring them to HEAR Center for a free comprehensive audiological evaluation. Schedule your child’s free follow-up appointment today by calling HEAR Center at (626) 796-2016.
Did you know? HEAR Center also provides pediatric speech screenings at no-cost to you.
*(2019-2020) - Impacted by COVID-19
HOW TO SCHEDULE A SCREENING
If you would like to schedule a free hearing screening at HEAR Center for yourself, or at your school site please contact Angelica at (626) 796-2016 ext. 30 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We would like to give a special thanks to our donors and funders. This free screening program is made possible by private donations and private grants. If you would like to make a donation to HEAR Center, please click on the donate button above. You can also make a check payable to HEAR Center to 301 E. Del Mar Blvd., Pasadena, CA 91101. If you would like more information about our screening programs you can email our executive director, Ellen Simon, at email@example.com.